Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Philip's Instruction

I get the chance to read the passage about the Ethiopian Eunuch in Acts 8 today.

Verse 26 says, "Later God's angel spoke to Philip: "At Noon today i want you to walk over to that desolate road that goes from Jerusalem down to Gaza."

That verse shows us the instruction of God's angel to Philip. I notice, the instruction is pretty clear on the TIME and PLACE. The angel said, "noon" and "road to Gaza from Jerusalem". Philip wouldn't have to worry about getting lost. He knew where to go.

But rereading that verse once again, I realized that the angel didn't say anything about what's the trip about. He didn't talk about the purpose of walking down the road from Jerusalem to Gaza. I wonder if Philip was wondering about what he's about to do.

Moreover he was sent to a desolate place. According to the English dictionary, desolate means barren or laid waste; devastated. It can also mean deserted; uninhabited.

Well, if I were Philip, I would have asked a lot of questions to God. Mostly asking for the purpose of the mission. But thankfully, Philip was obedient enough to follow the instruction. He did made the heaven rejoices.

Thinking again, it must have happened so quickly for Philip to complete the mission. He was probably singing and dancing on that devastated street so loudly before he met the Eunuch. He could also grumble and hate God for sending him to a place so desert and scary. But right after he saw the eunuch, it was all business, and it was an easy catch -remember he didn't have to do anything too difficult or preach out of nowhere; the eunuch was ready to believe. And just as he finished baptizing the eunuch, the angel took him away. No strings attached.

It was surely a good day for Philip. He wouldn't regret going to that dark alley all by himself to save a soul. It was a surprise for him too.

All the thoughts today remind me that it would not be that difficult. Along the way God has spoken and prepared all party's heart and mind. Only when I listen carefully and obey then I will be there. It might be a desert place but I should be moving on because I am on a mission. It's just a click of time before mission accomplished and I'll wonder about God's work in my life and the people around me.

Anw, I didn't expect to write this long. But well, thanks God for His inspiration today. God bless you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment